Friday, April 17, 2009

Lake Elsinore A float tubing opportunity

When I was a kid of about 8 or 9 I remember setting out to fish this lake with my cousin. We did ok a few cat fish, and some very wet shoes, were all we really got from this trip. Needless to say I was not very impressed at such a young age and over the years have never heard much good of this lake.
Well times do change, and so do the waters around us. I have not been there scene I was a kid but have read some information that has changed my mind. After reading an article in one of my favorite magazines (California Fly Fisher) April 2009, issue: title Lake Elsinore. The author states that there have been vast improvements to this body of water by the city to help mainly with their water quality issues. They laid pipes through the lake offering much needed oxygen to the water to help fight of the algae blooms. And also brought in a out side agency to help with the over flowing carp population. But there biggest addition was the hybrid bass or (wipers) that were planted to help control the threadfin shad population.
In the article they state that this lake is a up in coming bass fishing lake with plenty of bass fishing structure, (sunken brush and boat dock) all over the lake. Now with carp population in check and the algae under control, the Large Mouth Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, and the newly added Wipers numbers are up and in control.
So being that I have not been to Elsinore scene I was a kid I think it is time for a trip, to see for myself. Again this blog is about float tubes and I have not forgotten, there is float tubing allowed in the lake now, and unlike other California lakes it is still free to launch. And I love it when things are free, count me in. For more information on Lake Elsinore and the regulations go to. http://www.lake-elsinore.org/index.aspx?page=16 then scroll down and click on lake operations there you will find all the information you will need.
As always stay floating my friends.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Found your blog at BFT
    I am doing lots of tubing this summer too. I have a fishcat tube, and just got another one too,
    best fishes!
    MT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment I am new to the blog and tring to get it going strong. I hope that you will stop by again I will be adding more report and pictures to come for some good float tube information. Wht lake have you tubed so far, nd have you tried Elsinore yet, I would like to hear your opinions.

    thanks Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never hear of Elsinore, where is that?
    I tube lots of lakes in the Minneapolis area. The one I have been going to this year I cannot mention on the web, but if you are ever in my area I would invite you to come along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elsinore is just outside the City of Corona in Riverside. Off the 15freeway, don't know when I will be in your area but if I ever am I will, float tube it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I am buying 2 types of floating tubes...a round and box type. from cabala and bass pro shop.

    I want a wet suit to wear with fins.
    Any sugggestions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tyrone, I think it comes down to 2 things are you tubing in cold water or warm water more often. And Can you spend some money or want to save a few bucks.
    Neopren maybe less exspensive and keep youo a little warm do to its thickness, can get hot inside will fishing in the summer.
    The Breathables, are thinner keep you cooler and can cost alittle more.
    I also know most people talk about how good the breathables are but, I mainly see people using the neopren kind.
    Good luck injoy the sport and let me know how you do on you first trip.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete