Friday, March 6, 2015

Stop Leg Cramps While Tubing

      I know I am not alone in this statement: DAM CRAMPS!
They never happen at the right time and they hurt so bad you start cursing the fish because of the pain you feel.  It’s not their fault!  It is on you more than likely.


      So, the question is, what can you do to avoid those these miserable cramps?  I have done some research and have asked around and the answer to this is, who truly knows?  I have heard everything from stretch more, drink more water, to even drink pickle juice “What!”  I will discuss the different areas listed here to help you to avoid cramps while float tubing.  I ask that you keep an open mind and rely on the fact that not everything I list here is going to work for everyone all the time.  In my 41 years of life I have learned one very important fact:  we are all different.


      So, first off, I have read and will discuss the use of potassium to help alleviate muscle cramps.  It is a proven fact that if you are low in potassium that you could and will most likely be susceptible to cramping during activities.  So how do we replace that missing potassium? You guessed it: bananas.
Of course there are potassium supplements and I have even heard bananas and/or mustard is a great and quick source of potassium.  So make sure you have a banana in the hours before you get in to the water and maybe take a few mustard packs with you for a quick shot of what you need.  That is a simple fix right? So, now I am done and am at the end of the article.  Oh, but wait like I said we are all different. And because of this, we now know that this might not be the complete fix for some of us.


      It was stated previously that it could be your fins, the length of you fins that will denote the amount of force needed to move yourself through the water.  So you might need to experiment with the type of fins you are using.  This could be an expensive fix and the recommended fin for this remedy is:  the Force fins.  Now I have no experience with Force fins so I will not stand behind this statement.  Not because I don’t agree but only because I don’t have the experience.  This could be a true statement and maybe it has or would work for you.


Still another idea is to stretch before you get started float tubing.  Again this is simple; at least when I was younger it was simple - not as easy now a day.  To stretch before an activity you are helping your muscles to relax and get prepared for the activities ahead.  Make sure that you are doing proper stretching on the muscles that would be used while float tubing and maybe you should concentrate on the areas that you seem to have the most cramps during your outing.  For me I will be concentrating on my calf muscles.  Remember; be very careful not to over-stretch.  Only move to the point you feel the stretch.  Many years ago, Jane Fonda put out exercise videos telling you exercise until you feel the burn. And then, push beyond.  Bad news! Going beyond this could cause muscle damage.  It is also very important your muscles are warm before you start your stretch so you might want to take a light jog or do some jumping jacks before you stretch.


       Water.  You must have water.  Without water, dehydration could be the cause of your leg cramps.  So, it is stated, by the experts you should be taking in enough water daily to help you avoid those painful cramps.  Good advice while kicking around in your float tube.  Further. This seems to be another simple fix but I challenge you to really think about this.  Do you really take in enough water?  I am sure most of us after really thinking about it could safely say we are falling short of our water intake minimums and could be dehydrated and not know it.  If this is so, making a conscious effort to drink some water before your activity could significantly prevent the cramps you are experiencing, during your activities.


      Beyond these simple fixes, there are more ideas on the subject: quinine pills; Gatorade; a proper exercise program; and even pickle juice.  The quinine pills are not used anymore and I think you should heed the FDA’s warnings on this.  Now drinking some pickle juice before your outings have proven to help with cramping.  I am not sure if this works, nor do I promote it as a leg cramp cure, but stranger things have happened.  As for Gatorade and good a workout program are concerned, give them a shot as it may be what you need to help alleviate those nasty leg cramps and extend your time on the water, not to mention maintaining that svelte figure of yours…


By; JBernier

From the The Float Tube Fishing Forum Quarterly Magazine ( http://joom.ag/GtRb )

No comments:

Post a Comment