Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Blade Jigs Broken down

       Put a Curly tail grub on my line and I am just fine I will fish till I get something; I have also become confident in drop shooting a 3" to 4" worm, or Texas Rigging bigger worms not a problem for me.  I feel very confident in my fishing style and I am confident in the techniques I use while fishing my favorite waters.  So have I become complacent, you might say I am a one trick pony when it comes to my fishing techniques?  I asked myself this question and I really feel that I need to expand my arsenal of fishing tackle chooses.  So I starting looking at other baits that I have avoided or tried but never had success with over the years.  My eyes kept coming back to one type of lure the Blade jig.  I have tried the different types of blade jigs over the years, as they seem as they could be successful if you know what you are doing.  When purchasing these types of baits I had high hopes, but they were soon dashed as throw after throw I would get nothing not even a follow in the shallows.  Looking back at this now I feel it comes down to 2 things, lack of confidence and lack of understanding.

        Well I continued my search online and found some articles to read and learn from, in my search I came across the information I felt could make me a better blade jig fishermen.  Now I would like to help you understand these baits a little better as I have begun to learn there ins and outs of how to fish them.  So let’s start off with the bait and what the blade jig actually does to trigger the strike.   The blade on these baits create vibration in the water and with the blade leading the bait through the water it moves side to side causing it to strike the jig head causing a click clack sound in the water.   The vibration that this bait gives off and the clicking that is made is one of the biggest reasons fish will strike at this bait, but not the only reason.
           
        How are these blade jigs fished for the most success possible, which would be what most people would like to know.  Well the blade jig can be fishing slow retrieve or fast retrieve, high or low in the water column.  It can be bounced off the bottom or dragged through the gravel on the beds of your favorite waters.  It really comes down to what the fish is looking for.  The blade on the bait is the key to most of the retrieves, the more movement the more vibe and click, the slower the movement the less vibration and click, but what every you choose make sure you continue to
feel the blade working in the water.   In most situations a steady retrieve might be all that is needed, just enough movement to impart the clicking of the blade on the jig head.  Hopping the bait off the bottom can be a useful retrieve as hopping it off the bottom once again kicks the blade in to gear and the quick vibration could trigger that strike you were waiting for.  Of course don’t be afraid to simple crawl it across the bottom or dead stick it, so long as the bottom is fairly free of obstructions and heavy weeds.  There is also a retrieve were you will cast it out let it sink and just before it hits the bottom you pick up the rod tip sharply and reel in then pause.  After a short pause started the same pattern up again, rod tip, reel, pause, rod tip, reel, pause.  This mimic’s pray that is fleeing from a predictor and can cause that reaction strikes.

             So Next when is the best time to fish blade jigs, in my research most pros will tell you that these are year round baits.   I will agree that these lures can be fished almost year round, but I am sure most people will agree there are better times to fish them.   The best time to be throwing a blade jig is in the spring time.  Everything is beginning to wake up including the fish.  As the water warms hunger will set in and these lethargic bass are now on the chew.   The blade jigs are meant to mimic a swimming baits fish or could be seen as a crawfish kick along the bottom.  These are some of the targeted pray that these fish are looking for in the spring, which is just what you want.  Of course if you choose to fish a blade jig in the colder months, you might just need to slow down you retrieve to a slow roll or crawl.  And if you find yourself in the hotter months you want to look for deep waters and structure to fish for the best results.

Lastly a few more things before you head out to try a blade jig.  Where do you fish these baits, meaning what water and structure are best suited for blade jigs.  Their design lends itself to be fished almost anywhere you feel the fish might be.  Fish them along weed lines; bounce them off rock piles or stumps, and alongside docks and pylons is just a few areas we can fish these.  Finally these baits were not meant to be fished alone they are best paired with a trailer.  There are many trailer baits that have been made that will work just fine, for example the split tail trailer will work great.  Of course don’t get boxed in with only one type of trailer, experiment with different types.  Change it up with a 3” to 4” swimbait style, or maybe a ringer worm type lure.  Even use creature baits to add just a little more action on the bounce.  This, like in fishing is all about you and what you think will work best.  With time on the water and some imagination you might be able to take your blade jigs, and dial them in for some great bass fishing this Spring, summer, or fall whatever suit your fishing needs.  Then hopefully you, like me won’t be a one trick pony any more.



No comments:

Post a Comment