Friday, March 27, 2015

Confidence in Texas Rigging

  I have always been shy of using the Texas Rig.  To me, it just seems to be too slow.  And I really have no confidence in its’ abilities to catch fish.  Hmmm… Having confidence.  This is one of the most important parts of fishing; having a feeling of confidence from a certain type of set up.  In other words, if you haven’t had success in the past with your set up’s, then, you will have no confidence in that certain rig for the future.  Well, I had a good friend show me the finer points of the Texas Rig as well as putting me on some fish.  After an afternoon of fishing and catching (for the first time) with the Texas rig, my confidence grow fast.  It is now a standard in my fishing plans whenever I go out.  So I would like to take a moment to help you learn the finer points of this old but very useful set for some great fishing anywhere.

        First off, the bullet weight, which is the start of the whole setup.  It leads the

worm or soft plastic through the water and structure.  There are many different sizes of weights, but it is said that the lighter the weight the better the action of the plastic will be.  Next, in line is your choice of a glass bead, which serves two purposes.  First, it is designed to protect the knot from the sliding bullet weight; it also is used to add a little sound as the weight strikes the glass bead as you move the lure through the water.  Both are great reasons to add the glass bead.   But this is still an angler’s choice.



        Next, is the hook, there are plenty to choose from but the offset worm hook, in my opinion, is the best hook to use with a Texas rig.  You will need to choose the size that best fits the plastic bait you will be using, though.  You can use just about any plastic bait you believe works for your water conditions.  But the most common bait use is a plastic worm.  The technique to fishing

this set up is simple.  Cast the lure out and let it settle to the bottom.  With your rod pointed toward the bait, reel in your slack. Then, slowly lift your rod tip up to the 11 o'clock position.  Let the lure settle back down as you point your rod tip back to the lure and again reel up the slack.  Simple repeat this method until you have reeled the lure back.


Of course, with any set up there is more than one way to fish it successfully.  And for me, I have learned to bounce, pause, twitch, bounce, pause, and twitch, which imparts a wiggle in the lure as well as erratic jumping motion from spot to spot.  I have even heard people will cast a larger worm out and simply swim it back with success.

        I have learned to be confident in the Taxes rig setup only because I practiced this technique and have had, with time, gained success.  Please know, of course, you cannot have success without trying. So, speaking as a man who once had little to no confidence, if you have not tried this method yet, maybe it is time?

Found in The Float Tube Fishing Forum Quarterly Magazine:


No comments:

Post a Comment