Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Chatterbaits in Newport Harbor

     So I got this wild idea OK maybe it is no big deal but for a one trick pony it is a big deal.  "I am going to fish a chatterbait in the saltwater and catch a spottied bass, or die trying".  So last week in one of our forum events that just happened to be in Newport Harbor.  I had spent the week reading up on Chatterbaits and asking question on the forum, and I started to build my confidence up.  So it was almost time to pack up and head out to Newport for some float tubing with the crew, of course I still needed the chatterbaits if I was going to try this for myself.  So with not much time left I headed down to the local Wal-Mart (the last stop in tackle when you are not near a real tackle shop) to pick up my arsenal.  Not much to choose from so I left with a white 3/8 oz. and a blue 3/8 oz. chatterbait from Z-man lures.
     I figured I would attack to each lure a trailer and what better trailer for saltwater bass fishing the a Big Hammer Ring Hammer.  Armed with some knowledge and a few chatterbaits I hit the harbor with a determination to at least get a strike or two with my new found baits.  This was a big learning curve but I stuck with it for as long as I could bare it.  I guess it was good the bite was tough, because after casting for an 3 hours with no bites I was ready to through in the towel.  But I pushed on and just before I got out of the water it happened.  A grump of a spot bounded my chatterbait as if it was pissed off at all the vibration my bait was throwing off in the water.  This was a pure react strike, full on aggression to seek and destroy but chatterbait.  That last and only fish on the day left me with a desire to continue to throw a these baits and continue to expand my arsenal on the water.  I have been continuing my reading and studying of these baits and have recently came across some pro's that have said take off the skirt and show off the trailer in all its glory.  I have now been removing the skirts and will be sure to report back on how this has work for me in the salt for the always fun to catch Spotted Bay Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment