Thursday, February 5, 2015

Float Tube Safety First and Always

We have all been there at least once: “what did I get myself into.”  Just like our member Yellowrock got himself into a bad spot, we have or will at some point do the same thing.   All we can hope is the outcome, is a good one like PVR for Yellowrock was.  But of course, there is something to be said for being prepared.  If things are going to go bad they are just going to go bad.  But if we are prepared for these unexpected events they will almost always be stories we can share later with others.   Safety should be on all of our minds every time we head out.  And I am sure most of us think the same. But do we do what we think?  I know I am not alone in this. I have cut corners to get out on the water sooner I am also tempted to be more comfortable to stay out on the water longer.  Unfortunately we all know that it only takes once for the worst to happen.

Let’s just list some of the safety items you should have or consider to have a safe and fun day on the water.
     1. PFD (Coast Guard Approved)
     2. Whistle or air horn
     3. Wader belt if wearing waders
     4. Proper launching spot, and exit spot as well
     5. Knowledge of the water you are on
     6. Current weather reports for your area
     7. Having a partner if new to tubing

     This is a basic list that we should all use to stay safe on the water.  So, here is my question to you: how many of you think of all of these things each time out?  I will say with honesty that I don’t abide by all these rules, all the time.  The PFD is better behind me because it is just too bulky for me to sit in my seat on my ODC 420.  Whistle, what whistle? I don’t think I have ever had a whistle with me on my tube.  I just now started wearing my wader belt and even at that, I seem to forget when I first get on the water.  For me, launch sites are my strong point, I have always felt safe to launch because I think that part of the process through very well.  I have a pretty good knowledge of the waters I fish but I am sure I could know more.  I try to stay up on the weather but in So/Cal, it is not a real big deal as I'm sure it is in other parts of the country.  Finally I will say my first time out tubing was solo and it was a very nerve racking trip, but I guess I liked it enough to continue for the last 20 years.

     So, how can we make this easier for us to be better about safety while float tubing?  First of,f as for the PFD, having an inflatable vest would make it more appealing to wear my PFD.  The inflatable vests are not bulky, so I can sit in my tube without feeling like I have no room.  Whistles? ok, so I just need to go and get a whistle. That was easy.   For launching and exit sites, do your homework use Google maps, or ask around and always use flat ground with a firm surface to launch out from.  Smart phones have made it easier to be aware of current weather in your area and for the saltwater guys there are apps on tide, which is a great resource to have, as well.  Read reports of others trip to waters you are planning to try out.  Our members are good at giving information of what to expect when you get out there.  Finally, join the FTFF if you have not already done so, you will find plenty of people that will help you get ready for your first outing and you might even find a fishing partner for your first trip out.                  

More articles like this at:
https://www.joomag.com/en/newsstand/the-float-tube-fishing-forum-vol-1-issue-3/0081505001405147900

No comments:

Post a Comment